At uploading speedcams -as I explained in a previous post
– I found inconsistencies in PuntodeInteres.es and TodoPOI.com*: both not use the same voice for all warnings, reaching to put two voices in the same warning. It was annoying to me and I ended take more attention at voices than own warning decrease speed, and with a little luck, plas! photo-finish.
*N.of translation. Puntos de interes.es and TodoPOI.com are two sites from where to download Spain’s speedcams.
Without can use the voices from PuntosdeInteres.es and TodoPOI.com, I had to create them. Among the options I had I choosed the easiest: create them with TTS programs ( text-to-speech ) which gives me the ability to put the phrases to my taste, both the warning phrases such the voice chosen: male/female, spanish/latin, UK/US english, german, etc.
- Speedcams POIs (GPX o CSV). There are usually several pages where you can download.
- TTS program. We can choose various since usually be free…not so much the voices, forget about those are embedded in Windows are a s**t.
- A program specialized in audio. To record warnings, make cuts and whether the program provide it the option to normalize volume.
- POI Loader.
Difficulty level: Medium-high.
Choose your usual source to download the speedcams. The only requirement is that speedcams are in GPX or CSV, so POI Loader can process them. Optionally icons for the speedcams can be included.
Who does not know where to download them can follow this post.
Record the warnings
The warning phrases can be saved in a text file (TXT) or write directly in the TTS program.
Play the warnings with the TTS program and record them in an audio file. The way to record it you can estimate according your means, either with Audacity, Camtasia, VLC, etc…
If consider adding some sound effect (beep, ding, siren, etc.) you can get it from many sources (eg Mediateca Madrid).
- Audacity It’s a specialized audio program. Although initially I only used it to make the cuts I have found an option to record directly the system sounds. It’s the cleanest and fastest option.
- Camtasia. Although it records what we do on screen by checking in the program options “Record system sounds” it serves our purpose. The record we must to export it to only audio using the command File; Produce special; Export audio… [Ctrl]+[D] and save (WAV o MP3).
- Others… With any program that allows you record sounds of system directly. There are several, if you have got someone program out there can place it on comments and I’ll add it.
With a specialized program (eg. Audacity) cutting each warning and save them as individual files by each warning. Here is required patience to do so, is a task that require a certain time and isn’t exciting, but quiet: you just have to do it once, then avail us for next speedcams updates (compilations).
Compile the speedcams
Place all files in the same folder: the speedcams (GPX or CSV), the warnings (WAV or MP3), and if you add icons (BMP), also.
Remember that if you use WAV, must to place the
SOX.exe file in the same folder than POI Loader so can process audio files, if not POI Loader will make the compilation without warnings by could not process WAV files.
Run POI Loader y follow the wizard.