When we carry several years with our Garmin GPS apart from updating the maps also need to update the speedcams. Speedcams are but POIs with proximity alerts that can ‘customize’ with sound alerts you want, well as icons. Transl. For your safety, pass to cash register.
A list of speedcams would be composed of:
- Locations of speedcams (GPX or CSV). As even Garmin hasn’t exploded yet certain features of POIs with proximity alert, warning jump in both directions, although speedcam is in a single lane. For increase safety is preferable to set the speedcam alert by proximity instead of speed, because in a time you can make a sprint and plas! picture, however with proximity although you drive at 20Km/h you’re already prevented.
- Voice warnings (MP3 or WAV). Largely depends on GPS model you’ve got, if your model no supports MP3, but you include it the voice warning will not jump, but the beep yes. It’s important have got the SOX.exe file because is a library that process WAV files for POI Loader.
- Icons (BMP). Allows loading custom icons. There is some discrepancy in size and color depth depending on models, but for 3xxx series which is the mine is 24x24x4.
For my experience the sound warnings are very important because in the driving we’re looking at the highway (not at GPS) which is why sound warnings can inform us of all (eg. “Attention, speedcam, limit 100”) without looking at the GPS. Much better than the usual beep that forces you to look at the GPS to know which is the notice, with seriousness which is take your eyes off the road driving. This -for me- leaves the icons in a location purely anecdotal…but if present don’t hurt anyone.
Download POI Loader
Download POI Loader from Garmin website and run setup.
To download speedcams have TodoPOI.es this is totally free, and when I say “totally” I mean not to register or log into any site like is the tendency in forums. So we will avoid having to pay for Cyclops updates, besides eating some fixed speedcams installed some years ago don’t include “extras” as black points, camouflaged speedcams, alcohol controls, etc, that are included on this ‘free’ speedcams.
- Go to site.
- Clic on “Radares España” (spain speedcams).
- Select “Garmin / Magellan”.
- Select “Avisos de radares e iconos CON velocidad máxima” (speedcams warnings and icons with speed).
- Returno to unfold the menu and select “Voces de aviso CON velocidad máxima” (warnings voices WITH max speed).
- We extract the content of two downloaded files in the same folder.
For 3xx, 5xx, 6xx, Zūmo, StreetPilot c550, 2720, 2820, 7200 and 7500 models, must to delete the WAV files. And for 2xx, 12xx, 13xx, 14xx, 2xxx, 3xxx models, and current models must to delete MP3 files.
As the voice warnings are in MP3 only be valid 3xx-5xx-6xx, Zūmo, StreetPilot c550, 2720, 2820, 7200 and 7500 models. To voice warnings work another models would have to convert the MP3 to WAV.
Removed PuntosdeInteres.es from sites to download speedcams because is required login to download speedcams. This not take away to still be valid although must to be downloaded individually for have them better updated and not depend on “batch” updates..