Once unlocked the GPS unit LN500 we've done the easiest part…now is hard: install GPS software and working properly.
In my case I have gone against the general trend to use Tom-Tom or IGO in the GPS unit, instead I chose Garmin by my experience with them and their map updates.
- The first thing is have installed ActiveSync and have jailbroken the LG unit. If you haven't yet unlocked, read this post.
- Donwload Garmin Mobile XT and unzip.
- Insert SD card on computer.
- From the downloaded file unzip Garmin folder directly into SD card.
Get the serial.
- Remove the SD card from computer and insert into GPS. Up to 2Gb, if not the GPS unit doesn't detect it; hardware continues to be antique….
- Click on >My device\SDMMC\Garmin\Apps\WM\Que.exe and execute.
- Garmin is without unlock, so will show this screen and you must select "Connect to Garmin GPS", press "Skip" and confirm with "Yes". We accept the warning of risks and we would be inside.
- Click on Tools; Settings; About and will show us our ID card that will write carefully. Note: If we change card, the ID will be different, well as the unlock code.
If at any time ask us if we want to connect to other GPS, we'll say no.
- Exit Garmin and of WinCE explorer if is running and remove the card from GPS.
- Connect the card to computer and run the keygen (is within Garmin XT).
- On Enter your ID here fill the ID card, select Garmin Mobile XT and click on Generate. Will return us the unlock code that we'll copy to clipboard.
- Open Notepad and paste the serial and save as SW.UNL. in Garmin folder, be sure to save it under that name, lest may have hidden the extensions.
To enhance the interface of Garmin may can do a few things.
The first is go to Start; Settings; Taskbar and Start menu and mark Autohide so hide the taskbar and when you run Garmin XT can press on the main screens (desactivate Garmin online and risks of driving with GPS) that are obligatory step to access the program.
Hide the taskbar is just possible if you only run Garmin XT, and not use GPS as a PDA. Since you can't show again, because you can't access some options.
Garmin Mobile XT comes only with the base map, so it's necessary to get our appropriate updated, in my case Spain/Portugal. It would be desirable to have the Europe map, but 8Gb card is not detected. The Europe map occupies nearly 2Gb and added with base map exceeds the 2Gb of card capacity.
The map you get must to call it GMAPSUPP.IMG, and if is requiered unlock code must to save it as GMAPSUPP.UNL. And everything into the Garmin directory of SD card, as in forums advise us that GPS runs slow if we save maps in GPS memory.
Would be helluva that bit time when you power on GPS this running with Garmin?. This can be get by placing a shortcut on :\ResidentFlash\StartUp.
With card inserted into GPS and WinCE explorer we go to executable My device\SDMMC\Garmin\Apps\WM\Que.exe, once is selected on command bar execute File; Send To; Desktop as Shortcut. This will create a shortcut on the desktop, which we copy by holding down the shortcut and selecting Copy, and in :\ResidentFlash\Startup hold down the screen and select Paste.
Reboot and will be ready.
- The POIs of "My Locations" I could not find how to save changes in a complete shutdown (or reboot) of GPS, so if need your own POIs will have to be external. These will placed in POI folder under format .GPI, accessing them with Where to; Extras. Related:Transfer locations from GoogleEarth to a Garmin GPS (.GPI)
- To save space on card can be erased the voices (which more occupies) and help manuals in languages that don't use -although by safety I always leave the English language-, and EULAs.